Much like mosquito repellent for the yard, not all mosquito repellents for the body are made the same. Consumer Reports completed a series of tests to find the most effective mosquito repellents. Specifically, they tested products containing deet or IR3535 (both ingredients proven to repel) as well as two plantlike ingredients: lemon eucalyptus and picaridin.
The no. 1 most effective mosquito repellent against the Aedes mosquito in their test, the mosquito known to be aggressive toward humans and carries Zika virus, is Sawyer Fisherman’s Formula Picaridin. Sawyer’s contains 20 percent picaridin and kept mosquitoes from biting for about 8 hours. Compared to deet formulas, Sawyer’s also kept ticks at bay.
Read Consumer Reports’ full article, here.
Tips to apply mosquito repellent safely/effectively:
- Apply in an open, ventilated area, and do not apply under clothing.
- Apply on TOP of lotions and sunscreen, so that the repellent is the last layer.
- When applying to your face or a child, first apply to your hands and then pat on your face or the child.
- Re-apply mosquito repellent after swimming, sweating, and/or after the number of hours the label recommends…
- Read the label! Each repellent is created differently and for different exposure time.
Want more info on applying insect repellents? We recommend this article from Huffington Post.
Mosquito Squad Houston provides at-home protection from mosquitoes. The right kind of mosquito control for your yard can eliminate up to 95% of mosquitoes around your home. Contact us for an estimate, or view our services to protect your family and pets from mosquitoes today.